Tuesday, February 19, 2008

No, that's O.K., I like having responsibility.

I do not feel the government should regulate the content of any media, particularly the domains of the world wide web. I think the control exacted upon various forms of media strip the national community of its intelligence and common courtesy. An example of radio regulation can be analogous to simple conversation: if a person is talking then it is best to allow that person to finish before the listener begins; if a person is broadcasting at a certain frequency that another wishes to broadcast at, then that person should wait for the then current broadcaster to finish. The simple practice of manners amongst people can free themselves of these regulating bonds. These bonds restrict what others can say to their audience, and almost more importantly: what the audience can hear. Any audience.

As for the internet in particularly, I can't see why the government should parent children or parent parents. More than that, I can't see why it is anyones' responsibility to regulate what another person sees. If the person viewing or hearing any given stimulus does not like it then that person has the free will and brainpower to stop. Censorship deprives the society at large of proper stimuli that may better shape us as a people; simply because something is generally displeasing or earnestly horrible does not equate uselessness. It has always been my view that the "negative" things in life are exactly what make those "positive" things so damn appealing. I don't think I'll ever find away to argue against that.

Pending Update

1 comment:

Sammy said...

I pretty much agree with you whole-heartedly with your views on internet censorship. I don't like the government telling me what I can and cannot do. While I would appreciate a law saying you can't send me email unless I tell you you can, I understand why it hasn't been created already.

When I, eventually, have children, I know that it will be my responsibility to monitor what my child sees, and does not see on the internet. I don't want the government trying to parent my children, anymore than I want them to parent me. Simply because we disagree on a great deal of subjects, and I want to be the one in charge of raising my children.