Saturday, February 9, 2008

I Rule!

Two blog assignments in one post:
My father was strongly encouraged to retire early in his career from his last mainstay at Hughes Aircraft Systems; he had been working in computer networks since UNIVAC. I was in middle school when this happened. I suddenly became poorer. I felt very cheated because most of the things bought for me up to that point were useless: old toys I was already melting and chopping with a hand ax outside with my friends, clothes that I would neither wear or fit into, and school supplies more appropriate for elementary school. This inspired a knowing of functional and quality items as opposed to flashy or trendier items, although they were not always simply discernible to me. That knowledge required growth that I still attempt to maintain and build additions to; any feasible trade or market I can become interested in will be made note of for all future intents and purpose. That is to say, as I grow older and hopefully more intelligent I also intend to grow ever-long as a consumer citizen.

I try to buy only what I can honestly rationalize and aim to keep within my means. For large (relative to myself) purchase, I do my best to research prudent information before the day of sale. The bulk of my income is spent on modern basic expenses: rent, food, car insurance, (mostly school) books, and gas. By myself. My longtime female companion encourages more spending, but not so much more. She's reasonable. I don't live in the best place while in school. I buy my books online (17 credits, 300+ courses, $200), and the food I buy should be reasonably priced. And I buy ingredients rather than packaged food and pre-made meals. I cook and I can't imagine why people wouldn't insofar as they're lazy and don't know what to do. Cooking saves money, tastes better, and makes you a better person.

I don't buy much clothing either. I'm poor, what logic can be sustained by purchasing garments more fitting for the fashion season? I enjoy proper style (as best lectured to me by Esquire magazine and my own adopted sense of the subject) but simply cannot afford it. I try to stay informed and buy appropriately when I can. I'm not at all cheap but I am reasonable. I recognize business because it's of interest to me; it should be of interest to everyone because everyone is involved. When I walk into an inner city Safeway and see very poor quality strawberries sold 50% overprice, I pity the community as a citizen.

I'm a young and learning DIYer, dabbling in the interests of subjects ranging from music manipulation to home construction to food production and manufacturing. I mean, I intend to keep down this road of information, rationalization, planning, and diversifying. When I have my own home I will have a vegetable and herb garden and hopefully an area to butcher and cure my own meats. I hope to maybe construct something like a smoke shack, a porch, and a greenhouse. I want to do as much as I can for myself as is reasonable to my own lifestyle and make as much room for such as possible. If I can't do something then I want to know who really does.

I've recently been coming back to the website of a group of musical bandits called The Evolution Control Committee since they've updated their internet space. I suppose I'm one of the sort of viewers that they find ideal, wet behind the ears and interested in mastering the funky tunes of Earth for the purpose of personal creativity. Of course, I need money for all the proper equipment (I have been slowly acquiring bits and pieces over the years). They advertise upcoming events that they feel prudent, which obviously include shows. But they don't charge for their music. They can't. Sale of much of the music they've made would violate current copyright laws, and that's what they're into. They advertise that notion too. The E.C.C. advertise their views and creations and not much else; on the music page you can find a link to Drown Radio concerning their participation in the Crate Digger Deathmatch. And while big companies may not like the E.C.C., or rather the F.C.C. might not like the E.C.C. (get it?), they should. Why? Because the E.C.C.'s form of musical styling, the mash-up, in fact advertises previously released media that could easily inspire as much as a financial revisiting to the original work. Sadly, the bigger corporations don't always see it as such grand marketing. Business is not yet ready for the culture that the E.C.C. thrives in.

1 comment:

Rey Rey said...

Redaing your blog is like reading the unknown. I am a very different consumer than you. I am actually the opposite. I don't see how you can rationalize your spending in this society. Are you sure that it is rationalized or do you see it that way? I'm amazed and in awe because my way of spending is ultimately disatrous. I am the ideal consumer for an advertising company. I am easily manipulated. It seems to me that you definately are not. I think it's great that you consume the way you do. I'm technically poor too because I don't have a job or anything. But I seem to get myself in more debt just because I HAVE to buy things that you see as irrational. What is your secret?